Monday, June 1, 2009

Spotlight on Emerging Indie Artists, Vol 2

We have a growing number of talented folk artists at BlueMusePublishing.com so Volume Two of Spotlight on Emerging Indie Artists will be devoted to folk music.

Folk artists are generally known for their wonderfully artful lyrics and simplicity. However, folk music can also be a lot of fun and infuse elements of style and rhythm. I hope to provide a nice spectrum of folk music and styles, but I know that I must create new volumes to recognize many artists who I am unable to include in a single blog/podcast. I hope those artists will accept my apologies and my pledge to return to this wonderful genre.

I should say that I had one foot firmly planted in rock music while growing up in East Central Georgia, but the other foot was planted in folk. I was, and will always be, a fan of Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, and John Prine. I suppose I should also add that I needed at least two more feet as I loved country and R&B growing up, as well. I cannot help it, I love a variety of music.

I also love to travel, but this will be a virtual trip of music from England, Holland, Colorado, California, Nebraska, and New York.

Confoundry is a duo in England that writes beautiful music and lyrics. The song Watching Swans has a very nice arrangement of vocals, guitar, flute, and harmonies that, I think, paints a very nice picture to go with the lyrics. Please make sure you check out the beautiful flute intro on She Moves Through The Fair.

Vast Countenance is a group out of Amsterdam, Holland playing a variety of styles. However, their song, Afterglow, is very much in the folk genre. This song has very nice guitar, piano, viola, vocals and harmonies.

Wes & Victoria are a husband and wife team from Colorado that have a solid repertoire of original music. These two share their life's experience through their music. There is great instrumentation, with guitar, organ, and harp fills throughout many of their songs, but the vocals are also very good. The song, Trail of Tears has a lot of emotion. It is well written and produced with great instrumentation and vocals. I want to acknowledge the wonderful talent that is on this CD, The Ballad of Billy Saigon. Aside from Wes Hamil on guitar, there is also Albert Lee and the late, great Stephen Bruton. In addition, Victoria Hamil lends her very distinctive harp style throughout. Victoria has also recorded with Roy Rogers, Johnny Cash, and was featured in a film by Robert Altman.

Gil Garcia, from California, is more like Neil Young than Neil Young. I am particularly impressed with Gil's song, Songs. This song has the signature palm muting and phrasing of Neil Young, but Gil's distinct voice gives it life. I am really amazed at Gil's ability to play harp while playing the guitar. This is an extraordinary skill that I wish I had. There are also some very nice harmonies in the chorus. Please check out Gil Garcia at BlueMusePublishing.com.

Artist Stephen Monroe from Nebraska also has a great range of styles with a lot of folk blues and some jazzier tunes. I include Stephen because he is a solo artist playing a style that is part folk, part blues, part jazz. I really love his song, Sorry I Lost Control. It reminds me very much of John Hammond, Jr. There is also a very nice 20's effect at various times during the song.

The last artist featured in Volume Two, is Dan-O from New York. Dan-O is short for Dan O'Connor and his music also ranges in styles. His song Crowd in the Palace is written in a folk style. I am not certain of the meaning behind Dan-O's lyrics, but I am among those who like lyrics that lend themselves to interpretation. It certainly provides a little something for us to think about while we enjoy a well crafted song.

No comments:

Post a Comment